The link above is an article I had found quite some time back. It is basically a woman's story on how self-reliance has helped her achieve her dream of living in a log home in the country. This article summarizes how changing your attitude from 'I need help' to 'I can find a way' can have a great impact on your life.
Recently, I have been struggling with some negative assumptions. I have a tendency to be on the lookout for proof that I am disliked. When I feel like others do not honestly like me, I go into a tailspin, as it makes me feel alone. Anyway, a few days ago, I was having a heck of a time thinking positive and getting over this wrong assumption. On a whim, I looked up that article. Reading it made me feel so good!
While its focus is on her building her home, I can relate the article to my need to not rely on others feelings and to find more value in myself.
Some highlights:
Self-reliance is a mindset. If you have it, you are on your way to independence. If you don’t, it would be in your best interest to develop it. It requires a conscious effort of replacing an “I need help” attitude to an “I can do it myself” attitude.
...
Therein lies the silver-lining of self-reliance. When you achieve even a modicum of it, you feel really good about yourself.
...
You are smarter and more capable than you think. You can’t learn if you don’t try. If a task looks daunting, get started anyway. Take it one tiny step at a time. Dream big but take baby steps. Write down a plan. List your priorities. Number them. Start in.
...
Self-reliance is learned. It’s a process of acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to enable you to take calculated risks and achieve your goals even if you don’t have a partner. When you have tools and know how to use them, everything seems possible! And, you know what? It IS!
I would recommend reading the article itself as Dorothy Ainsworth has quite a story to tell. She now has a website located here.
Hi again, thanks for providing this link. Can relate again, feel as outsider for as long as I can remember and this is my main point I am struggling with. There are days where my attitude is clear and easy to be seen and adhered to and on other days it is still a nightmare after years! Do are doing a brillant job. Hugs across the pond
ReplyDeletewe totally believe in self reliance at least for food if only we could achieve it it would be awesome
ReplyDeletePaula,
ReplyDeleteFeeling like an outsider can sure be tough, esp. when we are looking for encouragement from others. Each time things go well is just another small victory! Thanks for your comment! *hugs*
---------------------------------------------------
JIP,
Yes, self-reliance in food is quite good! Even in urban areas one can still use their yards, pots (I've seen a method for growing potatoes in a garbage can), or community gardens. Also for more local food one can check out farmer's markets if they're in your area.
Yep, I too can relate. Self reliance to some degree I have had. Fighting now for total with respect to breaking co-dependency issues.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting! ♥
Dear One, how is it going with your time off? Keep you in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting article! Thanks for the link. I've never seen this blog until now. I'm glad I read your whole profile on your other blog so I could find this one.
ReplyDelete