Inspiring Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Codependency & Inner Child/Teen

Last night, I wrote a post on here about feeling overwhelmed by primitive defense mechanisms, low self-esteem, and codependency. Apparently, it didn't get saved. That's ok, I have a better experience to 'blog' about after I posted that.

I took a bit of a walk and got to thinking. I have been thinking quite a bit about my lack of self-esteem and my insecurity over this last week or so. Lately, I noticed my tendencies to project my emotions and split people and things into black/white categories. Hence, I started looking up primitive defense mechanisms again, which is what first made me realize a ways back that I was emotionally immature.

As I walked along, I came to a sand pile used for some local road re-construction. I had the most child-like impulse to bury my hands in the sand. As the road I was walking by was rather busy, the adult in me waited until the traffic broke up. I only had my fingers in the sand for a moment before I scurried off ahead of the next round of traffic. Giggling, I rubbed the grittiness into my hands, leaving my crummy mood at that pile.

That sand pile impulse was what reminded me about my inner child. Has my increased projection and splitting tendencies my inner child stamping her little foot and yelling 'LOOK AT ME!'? My focus as of late on my self-esteem and insecurity had reminded me of being focused on my inner teen. What I mean by this is the 'I'm the ugliest at the ball' kind of low self-esteem attacks.

I've been told that I may be having my teenage rebellion now, illustrated by other behavior tendencies. That's entirely possible as I had no rebellion whatsoever as a teen. I remember thinking I was too mature for a rebellion of that sort. Hah! I now realize that I was not mature, but terrified and codependent.

That was quite a blow when I realized I was emotionally immature. I always had the impression that I was this serious little adult. I was too serious to get along with my peers, now I realize why people may have thought I was a snob; it wasn't just the shyness. Anyway, my 'serious and mature' side was the one thing I was really proud of, as I didn't see myself as very smart and certainly not attractive.

I felt like my low self-esteem spiraled terribly when I realized I was emotionally immature. The only thing 'good' left was my niceness and that even seems like a sham with my codependency and insecurity. I now feel like a scared little girl with nothing to offer to anyone.

I feel like I have reached a point of no return. I cannot give up on my recovery, for I am more of a mess now than before. I remember more and feel more than I ever have and I have not yet reached my peak.

9 comments:

  1. This scared little girl hs a lot to offer to YOU. And there it is where it matters most right now.
    Starting to feel the feelings can be terrifying sometimes however it balance itself like many other things in your life while YOU will emerge.
    Yepp, the way is still long but I am waiting for you at the bottom of the rainbow. Never forget we will travel that rainbow together in pure happiness and serenity. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXtHXaaGuc

    I am sure you guided me there or I never would have found this music: Songs for the inner child

    Hugs to you, hope it helps

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so cool that you can rub your hands in a pile of sand and let your inner child giggle. I feel like you that I can not quite now "because I am more messed up" than I was to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really relate to your post. Sometimes I wonder if the strong feeling of low self-esteem I have sometimes is coming from a young me and I also have felt I have been having my teenage rebellion which is something I've felt ashamed about. I seem to fight the process of recovery. Try and hold onto that giggle - and put your hands in sand more often :) and remember no emotion lasts forever. Can you sit with your emotions and let yourself feel this hard time? Because it will pass x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I am so slow...
    This is an awesome discussion going on here!
    I like that Speck of Dust pointed out your color, I am really slow because I didn't even think of you changing the color based on emotions, insightful there chicky!!

    I love this post, I know that you are struggling right now and my heart goes out to you really!!
    But, I also know the rewards that you will find as you face these awful feelings and I can hear through your writing just how much insight you are gaining, it is just exhilarating on this side of the conversation, I can feel the energy of your process!
    I have some really great excuses to do little kid things right now because my grandson is 2. When my kids were little, I just felt pressure and was so depressed I had a harder time. I ask my husband, did I enjoy them? He assures me that I did, so I have to trust him.
    Anyway, what kind of excuse can you use to play like a little one and not feel silly, I highly recommend finding one. I can play with Isaac for hours and not feel like I am wasting my time.
    I am proud of you and so happy to be your support friend. I also feel so much support and compassion from you, I can't thank you enough.
    Take Care.
    Hugs,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. we appear emotionally mature but we have also begun to realise we are not, head wise we are smart and quick but emotionally we are detached and stand offish even seen to be aggresive.
    Part of our journey toward emotional e=healing will be to nuture those splits/alters into maturity but that cant be done unless first we acknoweldge the immaturity of feelings and responses was because they never got a chance to grow up.
    And our job is to let them grow with us as we all grow up.

    Hope that makes sense and helps a bit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula - you are right, she does have a lot to offer as I do to her. The balance I really have to keep in mind or I overwhelm myself. Thanks for the link to the song!

    Wanda - I have a number of ways my inner child comes out; most of which has to do with enjoying the world around me. I hope I never lose my sense of wonder, just the pain and repressed feelings. It feels like you have to 'mess' yourself up to get to the issues at hand and work your way through.

    SoD - I know that some of my feelings come from both when I was little and when I was a teen. They exist for different reasons but have many similar feelings. I sit with my emotions when I can but I do get impatient, they seem endless.

    Vicki - I realized the red was not calming me and after seeing SoD's calming blue, I decided to change it. I adore the color green. Colors and music both can calm me down. Oh I would love an excuse to have play time with a young one. I will have to see if I can find an opportunity. Thank you for your words of kindness. I enjoy spreading support to all that I can, though sometimes I struggle with the words.

    JIP - Thank you for your insight. It does seem important to recognize immature reactions so they can be changed to something more mature. I think sometimes things get worse because people react to my poor reactions.

    JBR - Thanks for your support! No matter how much despair I may feel at times, I will not give up! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete