Inspiring Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, May 24, 2010

Healthy and Unhealthy Ways to Raise Serotonin

Serotonin, as you may know, is a chemical that impacts our sleeping, eating, and emotional patterns.  Levels of serotonin are commonly altered by anti-depressants.

I myself have been reading up on serotonin as carbohydrates increase such levels.  I am concerned that eating less carbohydrates would deprive me of serotonin.

Today, I found this PDF that gives examples of unhealthy and healthy ways to increase serotonin.  I found it rather fascinating as isolation, procrastination, obsessive thinking, anger, and crying can all increase serotonin.  Perhaps, that may explain partially why I and others exhibit such behavior at times.

However, exercise, boundary-setting, full lighting, and reducing caffeine can all healthily increase serotonin.  To me, this suggests a greater reason to practice healthy living.

Anyway, I just wanted to share!  Take care all!  *hugs*  <3

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this link. It confirmed a few things and I am grateful to be on the right path. Have a good week. Love across the pond

    ReplyDelete