Oh my goodness, it has been almost two months since I last posted!
Oh, where shall I begin? My eyes tear up with the sudden realization that in a week it will be six months since my dad passed. This brings up quite a lot. I cannot believe so much time has passed. It makes me feel sad, a bit guilty for getting on as well as I have tried to, and miss him a lot.
I seem to be drowning in all sorts of grief. With my dad, the brutal murder of my boss (they still have not found all of him :( ), the mental degradation of my grandma, and the realization that my family and relatives are so dysfunctional.
With my grandma, I have gotten to see the more negative attributes of her personality. I have also thought so much more about the positive role she played in my life. She was a positive source of healthy love and fun in my childhood and teen years.
My family is too upset, resentful, greedy, et cetera to have healthy and necessary communication concerning various affairs that have cropped up. I guess I have always known that my family was dysfunctional, but it seems that I was still under some sort of denial spell until now. It hurts me in so many ways.
I realize now my codependency was learned from my dad. I mourn his unhappy and bitter life, one that I would have been doomed to repeat if I had not started working on my codependency.
I mourn having a physically and emotionally distant mom. I have seen positive examples of motherhood more recently and it makes it hurt even more. We talked recently; I am glad things are more civil between us now. I will have to accept that she does care somewhat and will do that the best that she can. I do feel that I need to self-mother a bit to make up for this void.
I mourn a happy childhood/teenhood. It seems that with my dad's passing, it is more 'safe' to think back. More inner child work must be done!
I wish for a happy, stable, and healthy family. However, I must accept reality. I can work on myself and be a positive influence on others.
I have thought a lot about how I act like a victim. I have also thought a lot about how I want to take personal responsibility for myself. I have been reading Dr. Wayne Dyer's Erroneous Zones. I highly recommend it!
Though things are bad now (the above stuff as well a communication breakdown between me and my youngest sister, my middle sister still not getting a decent start in life, and me being terribly overloaded), I have been having moments of happiness. I feel like I am slowly learning to be happy regardless of circumstance.
I have been neglecting my gratitude's, which seem a perfect way to end this post:
- positive changes within in the face of tragedy
- my CODA group of women
- dear friends, both online and offline
- still being alive
- for slowly getting over this nasty cold (oh how I am sick of mucus!)
- for the development of a healthy relationship with myself
I am sorry for your losses and struggles. My dad died at the end of November. Sometimes I forget that he's gone. How the hell do I do that?
ReplyDeleteI'm going to be getting rid of the Psychological Sewer. I'm not sure why, but it hasn't felt like a positive place for a long time. Feel free to visit me at either http://faycinfacts.blogspot.com or http://fattyfaycin.blogspot.com and I also made a tribute blog to my father at http://inmemoryoffaycinsfather.blogspot.com
hi ik~ it's good to see you writing on here. i'm glad you had the chance to reflect on where you are today in relation to everything you are dealing with.
ReplyDeletemourning seems like such a healthy thing to do. i know it's painful, but it seems like a really healthy - accepting - kind of pain. and very validating of your own emotions.
i hope you find time to self-nurture (maybe this is what you mean by self-mother - i like that phrase), and do things you like to do that make you happy amidst all that is going on.
here's wishing you well each and every day. and may you find the "healthy family" in the rest of your life. even if you can't get that from the biological family, doesn't mean you can't have that. one of my favorite quotes is:
The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
~ Richard Bach
hugs to you! :) take care~~
IK, so good to see you writing. I often think of you and wonder how you are doing. Facing the reality of our families is never easy. Oh yes, developing a good relation with your inner child is very rewarding - even when it feels a bit weird at the begin! I feel your progress, I feel how you have improved ever since I met you first. My true family is not my family of origin.... Love and hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI see you haven't posted any more than I have in the past several months. Lord! You have had a lot to deal with. I am sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way.
ReplyDeleteOne of the reasons I haven't posted much lately is because of my decision to stop my regular blogging after five years. I'm making the rounds to my bloggy buddies to thank them for their readership. Thanks for being a kind and compassionate supporter. I wish you many blessings as you continue your healing journey. And, as always, I am sending safe, gentle (((((((((hugs))))))))
Thinking of you! Wonder how you are doing!
ReplyDelete