Today, I wanted to post about a website I found yesterday. I saw an ad about some show filming and humiliating a family of hoarders. I have heard about hoarding before but decided to do some more reading about it. It reminds me of what I grew up with and some of the tendencies I myself have.
Looking through this website, one part worth noting:
Along with difficulties in throwing things away, compulsive hoarders have severe difficulties making decisions, perfectionism, and avoiding tasks. People with compulsive hoarding syndrome do not like to make mistakes. To prevent making a mistake, they will avoid or postpone making decisions. Even the smallest task, such as washing dishes or checking mail may take a long time because it has to be done "right." The net result of these high standards and the fear of making a mistake is that compulsive hoarders avoid doing many tasks, because everything becomes tedious and overwhelming.
Much of this website goes into children who have lived in hoarding homes and the impact of it. However, what really stuck out for me was the explanations about the hoarders themselves. It sounds like living in a controlling and critical environment is a factor with who hoards.
I feel like I understand my mother better now, and her mother as well. I think about all the tension, fighting, and chaos caused by misunderstanding. People just thought she was lazy or didn't care, but looking back, I just think she was overwhelmed. This all makes me so sad.
As I have learned more and more about abuse and alcoholism and how these factors impact people, I feel that I understand many people so much more. Why they say what they do, why they act as they do, it slowly makes more sense.
I can understand being over whelmed by simple task. Understanding other is so important. Learning to look past their fault, because none of us are perfect.
ReplyDeleteIK, thanks for sharing the link and the info.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Wandas Wings. Learning to look past their faults is so important and speaking for myself I have learned so much since blogging. Hugs to you
ReplyDeletei was married to a hoarder we understand its more than just cleecting junk its so much more
ReplyDeleteWow, I've never thought about any of this before. This is very informative and intriguing.
ReplyDeleteJust a reminder: As you are understanding others and having compassion for them (great!) remember to offer that to yourself, too.
Ik,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a tender way to look at things. I think I will be more gentle with myself over these issues now. How are you doing? Has life slowed down for you a bit? I am thinking of you and sending you xoxo.
Vicki